Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

A little good news...

It may seem really soon... but on Thursday we will be the proud parents of a little 8 week old shih tzu puppy.

I am still grieving the loss of Emmitt... he was an amazing part of my life and could never be replaced. Honestly I never imagined that I would be ready for a new puppy so soon... but as terrible as Emmitt's passing was it was also something we had been preparing ourselves for. We were so lucky to have the last year with him after the "Great Pet Trauma of 2005"... but we have known since then that Emmitt was not a very healthy boy and that his cancer would probably be back. We have known for some time that our time with him was limited. And I knew that when the time came I would have to be brave and make the decision to say goodbye to him before he was in pain... It was the kindest thing to do... but the hardest decision I have had to make. His passing has been so hard on me... over the past week I have come home several times in tears because he is not here... it is so lonely here without him.

Mr. D. and I went to a local pet store yesterday to hold puppies... just to see if we both felt ready. We do. We are not replacing Emmitt... he is irreplaceable... but we hope that a new little Christmas puppy with help brighten up our lives for the holidays. The funny thing is we are not buying the puppy from a pet store... as soon as we decided to look for shih tzu pups in our area on the internet we found out that there was a family with 6 puppies ready to adopt at a reasonable -not-pet-store price price very close to our home. They are not breeders and this is their very first litter of pups. I could not believe that they lived just 10 minutes from us in the next city over because we thought we would have to drive all over the state to find healthy, home raised, reasonably priced puppies. I went today to see the pups and they are adorable and the family was so warm and caring that I know the puppy is coming from a loving well cared for home. I also got to meet the parents of the pups and see what sweet and playful little dogs they are. This just feels right.

I am off work for two weeks now so I will be able to help the new puppy get used to his new home and his 3 feline siblings... who might possible mistake him for a guinea pig since he is only about 1 pound.

I know I will still miss Emmitt. I will go and pick up his ashes tomorrow and on the next beautiful sunny day we have I will bury him in our backyard with a nice little stone marker I had made. I know Em would not want us to be alone and that he is watching out for us and helped lead us to this wonderful family with these sweet little puppies.

I know that it is very soon... but like I said before... it just feels like Emmitt would be glad to see us excited and happy about our soon to be new family member. And God knows we could use a little Christmas cheer...

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, I hope your new puppy brings you as many or more wonderful years and memories as Emmitt.

Love ya girl!

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How wonderful!! I hope that your christmas is wonderful with your new little one! It's great that you got the puppy from a family instead of the pet store too, I know they tend to say they're not from puppy mills, but you never know. This way you even got to see you new little one's parents!!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes a new pet continues the wonderful memory of a pet that has passed away. Enjoy your puppy! :D

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that's wonderful. When we lost our sweet Annie in October it was our other two dogs that kept me going. They make me smile everyday and I love them so much. I really think if we hadn't had them it would have been so much harder and would have felt so much emptier without them. We also probably would have gotten another dog after Annie's passing. Good luck with the new little guy and we hope to see pics! :-)

5:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's GREAT you and Mr. D are getting a puppy! Emmitt was a good dog and he wouldn't want you to be sad and lonely. Congrats and I hope the new pup brings you years of happiness.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post pics of the little one so we can all awww at him.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I think it is wonderful that you are getting a new family member! Merry Early Christmas! Can't wait to see pics of him/her!

8:52 AM  
Blogger partyof6 said...

congrats of finding a good puppy. I was glad to read that you did not purchase it from a pet store. You might be setting yourself up with more problems, and the prices are crazy. You are really lucky to find what you did and so close to home. can't wait to see pics.

11:39 AM  
Blogger PCOSMama said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you and Mr D decided you were ready. I personally think it really helps to bring a new little puppy or kitten in when you lose one, not to replace the one you lost, but to help you begin the healing process by bringing some light in to the darkness.

4:12 PM  
Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

I am so excited for you!! Shtzu puppies are the sweetest things and ofcourse you know they keep their little puppy personalitys forever.So sorry about sweet little Emmit ,you really did do the kind thing,I know you know that.

5:10 PM  
Blogger BigP's Heather said...

I know it isn't my place to judge...but I totally don't think it is too soon to get a puppy. No matter how long you wait, you can't replace him. But it will be nice to have a new addition to the family. Hopefully it will make it easier for the healing process to take place for you guys. Make the place less lonely.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Kir said...

Awwww, congrats to you amd Mr D. I think it's wonderful and I know he'll bring you lots of smiles.

Incidentally, am I the only one that wants to know what you named him. Something "Christmacy" would be in order. *smile*

9:36 AM  
Blogger Heather W. said...

It's not to soon at all, imo. I think it's great! I had 2 Shih Tzu puppies when I was a kid/teen. They were the sweetest things! I was just thinking about them today (they both passed).

Enjoy your puppy!! I am sure he will bring much joy!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Click Here