Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Need your advice...

First a quick rundown of the day in Houston...

Still no PEAK.. thank you to those that responded yesterday... I am hoping Ollie is right and this means super O! I will keep using for a couple of more days and then give up.

Sore? Hell yes... but actually not as bad as I though I would be. but it is a strange sore... not like a regular workout but a deeper sore. I learned very early this AM that while walking and squatting cause only minimal pain... laughing and coughing almost bring me to tears! I will go back and kick that instructors ass... just give me a day or two.

Today... Got up and went to breakfast at KATZ DELI... yum. Then Mr. D. I I spent the better part of the afternoon painting pottery here. It was so fun! We have done it a few times and I always love it! I painted a "family celebration" plate with a really cute cupcake on it for all of our "family celebrations" and Mr. D. made a coaster with a cartoon portrait of me on it!!!! Funny... he let me paint apart of the face and now she looks more like a he! I'll post pics as soon as I can.. but they take a week to fire so I won't see then until Mr. D. comes home on the 27th.

OK... THE ADVICE...
Would you go see THIS museum exhibit??? It is showing here in Houston and I am so intrigued. Mr.D. says it is horrible and morbid and he won't see it. So if I go it will be on my own. But other local people who have seen it say it is amazing and mind blowing. I have always loved anatomy stuff like this... but knowing that these are real cadavers sort of makes is creepy.. I mean these people were alive and now they are on exhibit with their skin removed for all the world to see. Yes.. that is gross... but I am still intrigued in a scientific and human sort of way. There is actually a man standing all organs and muscle holding his own skin in his hands... (picture linked below... look at your own risk). It is so strange and unbelievable... I am not sure what I think of this. (Article about the exhibit from NPR).

OK... now the really scary part. Most people say the "roughest" part of the exhibit is an 8 month pregnant woman with a section open so you can see the baby. (pictures here... look at your own risk...) There are also over 20 perserved fetuses ranging in age from 4-33 weeks gestation. I am nervous to see this part of the exhibit... but part of me would really like to see the 6 week old embryo. We probably all have seen preserved babies in jars at the local science museum... I remember seeing them when I was in elementary school... (it always gave me nightmares to see those perfectly formed babies in the jars full of formaldehyde... like somehow they drowned in that tiny jar...) But now... I have the strange sense that seeing these babies might give me an insight into my own body. I might even be glad I saw them when if I ever get pregnant because I will know what I am carrying inside of me. I don't know... am I crazy??? AM I morbid for being interested in seeing this exhibit?? Who you pay the $22 to see this "exporation" of the human body?

I would love to know your impressions of this exhibit.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

I would go to this exhibit, I might go, I have been thinking about going to Houston and this really fasinates me.
It would be hard to see the pregnant woman and the man holding his own skin. The man holding his skin.. that is just weird, and the pregnant woman, it is just so sad to think of this life she did have.
Other than that, the human body is amazing and truely fasinates me.
I would (and might) go.
If you go let us know what you thought of it.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can completely understand everything that you said, it is really fascinating.

But--it just feels wrong to me--and I'm not sure if that's just a visceral reaction.

I'm posting something related to this on my blog today...

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would totally go - although I'd skip the pregnancy part, for obvious reasons.

Dr Gunther van whatshisface recently did Autopsy Live on Channel 4, of which I watched the first 20 minutes or so. It was fascinating, but ultimately I felt too much like a voyeur, watching via tv. It felt disrespectful to the cadaver, even though she had given permission for her body to be used. Had I been in the same room it would have felt more...honorable. Sacred.

But that was an autopsy, I think an exhibet would be far different.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Sporty said...

It is something that I would go see. I have taken anatomy classes and I am also intrigued by the human body.

I think it would be a little weird knowing that these people were once walking around like we are now, but I would still go.

If you do...let us know how it was.

Take care and enjoy!

~Chasity

7:32 AM  
Blogger Paige said...

I would go because I am curious and I don't think it is weird or anything just interesting. Have fun and tell us about it when you get back!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Shannon Nelson said...

I don't think I would. Only because I just lost a baby in January and the stupid ass ER dr. put it in a specimen cup and left it behind and I saw this little lifeless baby looking back at me. If I went to such an exhibit I would have nightmares again.

However, prior to this tragedy, I may have gone. I'm not sure.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Hi there!
I am delurking b/c I live in Houston and have been debating about going to see this exhibit. I am highly intrigued and have pretty much decided I am going to do it. It's just too fascinating to let it pass by without taking a look.
I am dealing with infertility myself but I have always been interested in the stages of pregnancy so I just feel like this is something I need to see.
I am probably going to wait a few weeks so be sure to let us know how it goes if you decide to see it!
Best of luck to you with your cycle this month!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

On the non-peak thing (delurking for this, hi!) the month I got pregnant, I had 'high' for like 5 days before it finally read peak. I was so confused, we ran up to the clinic for an IUI the day it went high, then had to wait and wait and wait another 3 days to go back for a second one when it finally hit peak.

It's frustrating as all get out, but it meant super fertile for us, I hope it means the same for you!!!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Jamie,
I am dying to know if you went, I am actually planning to go to Houston this weekend and me and Jennie and going to go together. It looks so interesting, I am glad that you brought it to our attention.
Jenna

1:12 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

The exhibit was just here in Philadelphia. Many of my friends went to it and really enjoyed in. I avoided it like the plague. One of my friends is expecting and she steered clear of the woman who had been pregnant. Her husband viewed it and found it very interesting. We were contemplating taking our 8th graders to the exhibit during our Philly field trip but opted not to . . . probably wise on our part :)
I wanted to drop you a line and say congrats on bringing up the adoption subject with Mr. D. I've been a LONG time lurker. DH and I have just become the official mommmy and daddy of the sweetest little boy ever. We are just waiting to bring him home from Guatemala. A year ago I was told that at 28 I had already missed my window to have a baby. My body thinks it is over 40. The closer we get to bringing that little guy home, the more distant a memory that news becomes . . . Good luck all your decisions! I admire your strength and courage and I always enjoy reading your posts. How DO you run shows all the time? (I help to director one musical a year and it wipes me out for months!) Hang in there, Jamie ;)

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delurking here. My 13 yr old daughter begged me to take her to the exhibit while it was here in Los Angeles. We loved it. SO interesting and the thing is I had to keep telling myself "These are real bodies" for it seem almost like something molded from plastic. The pregnant woman wasn't that bad and really interesting. Here in LA they had the Pregnant Woman Reclining in a separated area kind of curtained off to one side. It drew a lot of attention. I guess if you feel that it wouldn't be something that you would like to see then you could skip that part. I found it educational. It does or at least for us it did take a while to see all but I liked reading and really examining all the different things. It isn't just whole bodies but parts hearts, kidneys, lungs etc. I didn't find it gross or anything. Matter of fact I have seen grosser things on TV that looked more realistic then this did. Oh and my hubby didn't attend either. LOL

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Click Here