Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, February 23, 2007

I've been punctured....

I think I am on cd 14 or 15... not sure...

Today I did something I have been thinking about doing for a long time. I went to my first acupuncture appointment. Yep... I am now on board with a new-age-y holistic approach to my fertility... and for a modern girl like me... I felt like I was seeing a which doctor for a little voodoo... But... I actually really loved MOST of it.

I didn't feel like I was in a doctors office... I mean it just looked ... I don't know... older than a doctors office... and less fancy... I really did feel like I was in an office in a small China town. First I talked with the "doctor"... (I say "doctor because I am not really sure if she is a doctor) She spoke in very broken English and asked me about my infertility. I know you won't believe this... but she actually "just adopt-ed" me... You know what that is right?... When you are talking about infertility and the person you are talking to tells you that maybe you should "just adopt" because that is how her friend / sister / sister in law / cousin ended up pregnant. "As soon as they got the baby home she found out that she was pregnant!"

Anyway I was mostly forgiving about her "just adopt-ing" me. We talked a little about the Metformin, progesterone, and anti-anxiety meds I am taking and then she made sure to tell me that with preg-ga-na-cy there is no guarantee... and you might need treatments for 2 or 3 months before you actually get preg-ga-not. Hahahahaha.... how cute... (she doesn't know me.)

We also talked about how I might be blocked emotionally from getting preg-ga-not because of the trauma of my miscarriages... this I can actually believe and it is one of the reasons that I decided to try acupuncture now... to try to de-stress and (dare I say the word) relax about the whole preg-ga-na-cy. So... even though I was "just adopt-ed" and "just relax-ed" by this tiny little Chinese "doctor"... I felt like I was in the right place.

So we started the treatment with my abdomen and legs.. about 8 needles... then she attached these electric thingys to them and they sort of throbbed... then she covered me in towels and blankets and cooked me under a heat lamp for about 15 minutes... I was surprised at how fast the time went by and how relaxed I was. I was also shocked at how gurglely my tummy got (which she said was normal since your digestive system is right there too). Then I was turned over and she did the same thing to my lower back for another 15 minutes. After she took the 2nd set of needles out I was given a 10 minute massage and then she "cupped" me... I have only heard about cupping on tv (remember when Gwenyth Paltrow showed up at some event with huge hickey looking marks all over her back? Well.. that is cupping....)

As I was leaving she gave me some Chinese herb pills called zi si fang (which I have googled and can't find out what they are... besides a "Chinese herb mixture") And $90 later I left feeling really good. Tonight, at 9:30 after a 3 hour rehearsal at school I still had energy to want to walk the puppy around the block and now at 11 pm I still have tons of energy... so maybe the 2 billion people in China are on to something... maybe there is something to this acupuncture.... maybe in a couple of months I will be preg-ga-not.

So... that is what I have done this month to try to conceive... well all that and sex.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jessigirl said...

Wow! Did the needles hurt? What about the cupping? I have always been curious, doesn't hurt to try a more "natural" approach, your body could probably use the break. Love ya!

Jess

P.S. Did you get my email? Am I sending them to the wrong address?

8:38 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

More power to you lady! I don't know if I could get needles stuck in me but I will take your word that they don't hurt.

Good luck!

4:32 AM  
Blogger Susan's Life said...

Hey, just stopped by to see what you've been up to. Anyway, I'm so glad you're trying accupuncture. I LOVE it! My whole family is now going for various ailments!

Good luck and try to be patient with it, it can take a while to get your body to respond to it!

Susan

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked the acu, though I think I would've had a hard time not punching her after the adopt comment. (Then again, she has needles & fire, so perhaps being quiet was the wise path.)

I found that acu was great just for feeling like I was doing something healing for my body. Hope it works fo ryou!

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acupuncture is far out. I did it for a couple years, including the cupping. That was a big surprise the first time, especially in the ones around my shoulders. Had to wear turtle necks to cover the big bruises. But I really did love the way I felt during and after. I almost always fell asleep on the table. I can't wait to hear how it makes you feel. Even if it doesn't help with preg-ga-nat, I do remember it helped tremendously with my body's ability to cope with everything.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I am so happy that you decided to try accupuncture! It is so wonderful that (for the most part) you enjoyed your experience! I hope you have had a great weekend!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Heather W. said...

Wow, that's great! I do not know much about acupuncture, but it seems interesting. Hope it does the trick!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've heard many many good things about accupuncture. i almost did it myself and again i'm thinking of doing it in the summer. GOOD LUCK...you're in my thoughts and prayers...

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jaime, I haven't posted on your blog for a long time, but I always read! I have done acupuncture off and on . . . here's my weird experience. I also have PCOS, and my "doctor" would insert needles that are supposed to stimulate the ovaries (and also used the electric thingy). Anyway, all the other needles would always relax me, but the ones to my ovaries almost ALWAYS seemed to ache a little. When she did the electric thing with those, she had to turn it on low and then increase it (it throbbed and then would get less and less as I got used to it). She said I ached b/c my my ovaries are my problem area (understatement of the year). I always felt like the fact that I FELT something that was supposed to be connected to my problem area added a little validity to the experiment. I eventually gave it up, as we moved on to IVF and needed to cut out any costs we could, but I do think it can work. Good luck! (Can't believe the "just adopt" comment either!)

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you all the best with your acupuncture! It took me 10 months of it, but I did get pregnant doing acupuncture when we decided to stop after failed IUI's and not move onto to IVF (unexplained IF). I continued through the first trimester, as well, to lower the risk of miscarriage. Good luck!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a great acupuncture session!! Something I learned...the first time the needles dont really hurt. The next visits, your body remembers what happened and it hurts a little more. Nothing too bad though. I hope this works for you. I am on treatment #6, she told me Tuesday that it will take about another 2 months. (ughh) But I feel better, have more energy and am much less stressed. The key...let everything go, RELAX during the treatments and think in your mind that the actual treatment might not get you preg-ga-nant, but the relaxation part might just do the trick for you. Best of luck!! We are in this together! -rileydog605

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Click Here