Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter dinner(s)



Happy Easter???

CD 26.. no real signs of AF.

On Saturday I felt guilty about not getting my family together for Easter. My dad and I used to be very close when I was growing up... but since he remarried about 8 years ago... my brother and I have taken a back seat to his wife's family. Although my dad lives about an hour and 15 minutes away... my brother and I only see him about 5 or 6 times a year. We quit spending Easter together several years ago... and Christmas always brings fights about not wanting to spend the day with his wife's family.

So... because I have this silent commitment of trying to bring my family back together... I called my Dad on Saturday and asked him and his wife over for Easter dinner. He said they would be here at 1 pm on Easter. My brother and I spent $110 at the grocery store and spend Saturday afternoon prepping a big Easter meal. On Sunday morning (after the Easter Bunny visited and brought me an INCREDIBLE basket full of Easter baking supplies and decorations and 2 wonderful Children's books... Bravo Mr. D.!) we spent several hours cleaning the house so it looked beautiful... At 11:25, just as I was about to get in the shower and put the food in the oven... my Dad calls... and cancels. Yep... canceled 1 1/2 hours before they are supposed to walk through the door. He said that they stayed up very late the night before working in the backyard... and were to tired to come over. I was stunned. I just said OK and hung up. Of course my brother was pissed.. I was in tears and standing in the kitchen in front of a ton of food.

Mr. D. jumped into action and called his parents across town and invited them over... He really saved the entire day...because I would probably still be in my closet bawling if he hadn't called in the troops. I was so worried that they would know that they were 2nd choice because we were calling them at the last minute to come over and eat this elaborately planned meal... but if they knew anything they never mentioned it. We had a wonderful day eating and making bunny shaped cakes for dessert. I never hear from my Dad the rest of the day.. and he never called my brother... even to say Happy Easter...

That night we went to Mr. D.'s sister house for dinner with his parents again... It was a full day of eating... That part of the day was very unpleasant because his sister loves to talk about how much teachers suck in their schools. She wants to talk to me about it... but I feel very attacked because there is something very offensive about millionaires (literally... millionaires) talking about the public school system sucking when they are to cheap to get their kids a tutor or send them to private school... And how it is the teachers job (who probably makes about $32,000 a year... which by the way is less than one of their cars cost) to spend extra time with their kids tutoring them after school so that they don't have to spend $$$ on tutors. These are people who by a new $50,000 car every six months and own a $600,000 home.... OWN... as in paid off. Mr D. Actually had to "break up" the heated discussion about the teachers. On the way home he said "See... my family sucks too..."

Someday I will maybe I will talk about the fact that his sister could (if she wanted to) just hand us a check for IVF or adoption without even battling an eye... but they are not that kind of people... They do not even think of paying for a weekly lawn service for their parents.. Mr. D. does their lawn every week because they are in their 70's and can not do it themselves. It is the most unbelievable case of selfishness that I have ever seen... ever seen the TV show the THE WIVES OF THE REAL ORANGE COUNTY?.... be afraid... these people really do exist.

So that was our Easter... Parts of it truly wonderful because Mr. D' refused to let my Dad ruin our day and he worked REALLY hard to give me a great day.. and parts of it not so good to remind us that basically... family sucks.


And now a picture of the bunny cakes we made and decorated for your drooling pleasure... Mine are purple and blue! The scary three at the bottom were made by my brother and my father in law! It was the most perfect Easter basket ever!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kellie said...

The bunnies are adorable. I bet they were fun to make. I'm sorry that your dad crapped out on you but it sounds like Mr. D saved the day in royal style. Happy (belated) Easter.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Sporty said...

You have got a great one there Jamie! Yes...family can suck, but it looks like the only one that really mattered was the one that you always have with you!

The little cakes are adorable...even the 3 scary ones...at least they tried!

Take care.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Dramalish said...

The cakes are adorable.
I have a saying when my family gets... well... SUCKY. I coined it when I was in the presence of people who don't curse:

"Family Schmamily!"

I think I'm going to embroider it and hang it above our front door.
;)
-D.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

I'm glad you're family didn't squash the entire day.

Loves the cakes!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming out of lurkdome to say Mr. D rocks!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Sheryl said...

Awesome Bunnies!!

I'm sorry your family did that to you, but I'm very happy that Mr. D saved the day and gave you a wonderful Easter :)

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Click Here