Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, September 08, 2006

Plan B

OK... I took the internet's advice... I called the doctor's office.

I asked to make an appointment with him for my annual visit and to discuss what is going on... the nurse said that he was really booked next week and I might have to wait on the annual until another time... but to let her call me back after she spoke to him personally...

When she called back she first told me that he wasn't concerned about my period being so weird because he sees it happen a lot and there are many reasons it could do this... no being that serious. But he knows how uncomfortable I am and that we need to "reset" my body so that I have a period. The nice thing was that the doctor said he was more than willing to rearrange his schedule if I wanted to come in and he could talk to me in person... but that there were basically 2 options right now. (3 if you include "just wait..." but we are done with that.)

Option A - Come in for a big ol' progesterone oil injection. This would raise my progesterone levels high and then in about a week when the progesterone is out of my system they would fall dramatically and induce a bleed sometime in the next two weeks. (This was the same thing the provera was supposed to do but it didn't work). Apparently a possible cause for an AWOL period is that my progesterone never surged and dropped off naturally so my body thinks it doesn't need to have period. Probably a side effect of chronic low progesterone... which we know I have had in the past which is why I am always on supplements in the second half of my cycle.

Option B - I could go on vaginal progesterone supplements for 7 days and then stop them abruptly to induce a bleed... same theory as above. This would bring on a period sometime in the next three weeks. These are the same exact progesterone supplements that I take each month in my luteal phase so I know the side effects well and I know how my body reacts to them.

I decided not to make the dr. rearrange the schedule... it was nice of him to offer though... I will wait and get my annual the next time I have to go in... it also saves me from having to take a day off of work. And I have decided I am choosing Option B... because even though I may have to wait longer it is less hormones in my body all at once. I am scared to have big injections of anything because once it is in your body... there is no going back... and if it makes you feel terrible, or gain weight, or throw up... there is nothing to do but wait it out... and I have had enough of that.

So tomorrow I will go and pick up my prescription and start the stinky yellow bullets of doom.

Holy pantyliners Batman... it is going to be a long month.

7 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Glad you have a plan. Personally I was put on the PIO last month for the first time and I much preferred it to the suppositories (way less side effects)but that's just me and I know everyone is different. Plus, you are right, it is more hormones.

Glad you got a plan Jamie, hope your period arrives sooner rather than later.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I a few people where the provera didn't work. It's totally frustrating when you are actually waiting for a period.

The PIO isn't that bad. But speaking as an IVFer with a sprinkler head for an ass, maybe I'm just used to it. But the PIO is in the butt and the butt? It has a lot of fat in it. So while the needle seems overwhelming, it's just a little pinch. Like Krista, I actually prefer them because I hate to ooze.

That said, I'm in the whole "stick with what you know camp." You totally don't need to stress yourself out over needles if you don't HAVE to do them.

Good luck on period watch '06

6:44 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Oh, do I feel your pain! I took my last progesterone suppository yesterday (thanks to AF arriving and announcing my BFN for me) so I actually get to switch from panty liners to pads & tampons...woo hoo!!!
Even though it does suck, I hope the little bullets do the trick for you : )

8:32 AM  
Blogger Heather P. said...

Jamie,
sorry it has been so long since I commented last but I do come here and check in on you!

Hope you period shows soon. I am in the same boat as you with the last one which the provera worked for and now I am having to start on it again waiting..... for the day to come... If you find her before me send her my way..

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie,

I like how you sound- you've got a plan and nothing will stop you.
Awesome start to the new chapter( hopefully final one):)
Best wishes,

Julie

5:27 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

A plan is always a good way to start. I sure hope it works for you Jamie.

5:35 AM  
Blogger jungle dream pagoda said...

I would probably pick less hormones too. See you tonite with little miss R.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Click Here