Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Not pregnant...

CD 2.

Today when I woke up two things were clear to me... #1 I needed to see a doctor about my bladder infection and #2 I am just not comfortable having my current doctor do surgery on me. I have though a lot about it... and I just don't like my doctor enough to let him cut me open.

So.. this morning before work I emailed another doctors office that my SIL recommended. I decided this morning that I would at least get a second opinion. I also called the nurse at my current doctors office and asked if I could swing by and pee in a cup and get a prescription for my bladder infection. I felt ok about "using" my current doctor for small things but surgery is another story... plus the new doctor that I called actually teaches other doctors how to do lap surgery... so there is no big deal waiting and getting another opinion. And if the second opinion is that I need the lap then I will pick a doctor and do it.

Fast forward to my doctor visit... my current doctor was out of the office and so I saw the nurse practitioner... (I am not sure what the difference is between a nurse and a nurse practitioner is exactly... but I know that even though they are not doctors the NP's can do exams and write prescriptions.) So... after I peed in the cup and we waited for a "just to be sure" pregnancy test she asked me "So what are you doing about trying to get pg?

I told her about wanting to move on the IUI and how the dr. strongly suggested a lap and she said "Have you been diagnosed with endo before?" No. "And you have had a hsg that was clear?" Yes. "and you have been pregnant twice?" Yes. She asked about my periods... regular, back cramps the first day, headaches and tylenol seems to make me feel better.... "no vomiting, passing out or staying home from work with cramps" No. I mentioned that although my tubes were clear in the hsg he though maybe the "little hair-like fingers" at the ends of the tubes might not be functioning... "Yeah.. but you have been pregnant...twice" she said again. I told her that if I need the surgery I will do it... but I just don't understand the reasoning behind it... then I said "I guess it is just the next step" and she says "well... it is a step". Then she opens her desk drawer and says "don't tell anyone about this..." and she hands me a card OF ANOTHER DOCTOR!!!! Then she says.. "I just don't see his reasoning for surgery.. and a second opinion is never a bad thing." I almost fell out of my chair. His own Nurse Practitioner thinks I should see another doctor! Then she gave me a prescription and told me to start taking it and they would call when my urine culture came back... (they couldn't do a dip because I was taking AZO over the counter meds that made me pee fluorescent orange and would mess up the dip test.) And then I left.

I left with a distinct feeling (as if a sign from God) that seeing another doctor is exactly the right thing to do. If I get another opinion that suggests I need the lap... I will do it... but this doctor is not for me. And today I feel like I might have received divine confirmation of that.

What do you think?

17 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I think a 2nd opinion is a great idea - especially if it makes you more comfortable which is the most important thing. Good luck to you - I hope this doctor works out - the NP sounds great!

4:34 AM  
Blogger Jessigirl said...

I agree, a second opinion can't hurt. I really hope that the Doc she recommended will work out great since your NP recommended him (or her). Good luck!

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for the NP! It definately sounds like an answer. I hope your new doc turns out to have better answers for you. Similar intervention from a nurse at my old dr's office helped me find my ob/gyn.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Sporty said...

A 2nd opinion is a great idea! I can't believe that the NP did that, but yep...it could be devine intervention. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care and hope to hear from you soon (when things start to calm down).

7:25 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Getting a 2nd opinion is good idea and I think the NP's recommendation is a sign. Good luck!!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that a second opinion is in order. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

For the record, a nurse practitioner is a registered nurse who has completed a special Master's program to be a nurse practitioner. This allowes the nurse to write certain prescriptions, do exams, and operate more independently than a registered nurse. (heh - I used to be an RN, can you tell?)

10:01 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

I hope you find the answers you're looking for.


Good Luck.

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been lurking on your site for a long time. I think a 2nd opinion is in order. It's your body, you have to feel comfortable. I have had 2 laps. They were not bad but it is surgery. The first one revealed nothing. My OB did it early in our infertility struggles. Probably too soon, now that I look back. I was so anxious I didn't question it. I think I should have. The 2nd was done by our RE a couple years later. However, it was only after many tests that had inconclusive findings. He found some problems and corrected them with another surgery. Good Luck.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Heather P. said...

I agree with everyone else. Get the 2nd opinion. However like you I have no signs of endo what so ever hsg was clear too. ( I have pcos too) however with stimulations (fertility shots) a cyst inside the ovary was discovered and when the dr did the lap I had class 3 endo which 4 is the worst. Just an experience

Sorry I haven't been on in a while.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that youre not PG. As far as the doc goes, go with your intuition.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Shashonie and Phoena said...

I'm a lurker also and think a second opinion is a great idea. I haven't had to go through the medical procedures to get pregnant, but have heard how overwhelming it can be and getting another opinion can't hurt. Good luck.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

2nd opinion sounds like a good idea. Just be aware, endo doesn't always show up. I had no signs of it on hsg or scan, no unusual bleeding or pain etc., but I had stage three and one of my ovaries was glued to the abdominal wall. So if it was me, I'd do the lap just to see - it's not a big operation, just a tiny incision in your belly button and above each ovary, one stich in each and you're back to normal within a few days. Seek a second opinion, but don't get too nervous about the surgery, either.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Rhea said...

Heck yeah, get the second. The fact that she has cards lying around should tell you tons. Run for the hills.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

A second opinion is NEVER a bad idea. I think informed decisions are a good thing. I also think you have to be comfortable with your doctor. Good luck with the second opinion no matter what he/she tells you I hope that you like and respect their opinion. Hope the bladder infection goes away quickly!

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I've been lurking a bit on your site - as your struggles seem very similar to mine. My husband and I have had 2 miscarriages, and have been TTC after the last miscarriage for 12 months. So my RE has diagnosed us with infertility, on top of our recurrent pregnancy loss. He suggested we have a lap to see what's going on, and I just had the surgery less than 2 weeks ago. I was very torn about having it, but I'm so glad I did - the recovery honestly wasn't bad at all! It turns out that everything is okay, but he wanted to make sure before he went ahead with other fertility treatments. Good luck with your decision!

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is SO funny she recommended you seeing another doctor!!!!! go for it, girl!!!!!!! i really love your blog.

4:49 AM  
Blogger Mama Kelly said...

2nd opinions are always a good thing

for the record I wasn't diagnosed with endo (despite having tons of symptoms) until after i had a child and 2 miscarriages

i wound up with a hyst. at age 35 and at that point my ovaries were wound up in my urinary tract (vag US were still normal up until surg)

I wish you well!!!

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Click Here