Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 03, 2006

The visit...

Sorry that I have not posted abou my doctor appointment yet. I am just taking some time to process everything because a lot has transpired in the past couple of days.

First... my teaching partner decided to send me an email (or two) telling me that basically he hates working with me, thinks I am a horrible person, and that he thinks I am to hard on my students. Grrrreeeeaaaattttt. Since he is in such a terrible and scary work position you would think that he would be looking for another job right? Nope... He (so far) is planning to stay... he just wanted to make sure I knew how much he hates working with me. There is so much more to this story... but my fingers could never type it all.. You all know what I think of him... but I have tried very hard to remain friendly since we work so closely together. Now I have to decide if I need to take these emails to my principal and try to figure out what to do next... or do I ignore it all? Tough stuff. It really sucks.

My doctor appointment was very interesting. I met with New doctor for over an hour and we just went over my story... Again.. there is so much to the story... but the highlights are...

He does not think I need to have a lap... at least not this summer (by the way.. I did not tell him that I was opposed to the lap.. only that I wanted to understand why I would need one..) Basically he thinks that none of my doctors have followed the standard procedures and run the proper tests to try and figure out what the problem is. He also thought that Dr. Untrustworthy was super-over priced and did not have the aggressive type approach that he feels I need. He also told me that he doesn't think I need IUI's and that IVF is so far in the future that we shouldn't even discuss it at this point...

Here is my new plan... On Tuesday I will have a cd 13 u/s to see what I am doing on my own as far as ovulation... (if I would have seen him a week earlier we would have started clomid..) If there is a good follicle I will get a hcg shot (which he couldn't believe no other doctors have offered me in the past when I have had good follies) and then follow up with a progesterone test 8 days later. He says we need to figure out if I am having trouble ovulating or if I have low progesterone or if it is both... there is a difference... If you ovulate and have low progesterone you would have trouble staying pregnant so you would need progesterone supplements BUT if you are not ovulating that will also cause low progesterone readings... but progesterone supplements are not going to help the problem and you would need something (like clomid) to stimulate better ovulation. I have known this and have remained frustrated because Dr. Untrustworthy just "decided" that I was not ovulating well enough even though we consistantly saw follies that we 16-18mm on cd 13... So this month (asided from the possible hcg shot) we will go au natural and see what my body does on its own... remembering that I have been pregnant twice on my own with no assistance.

Next month... we will do a "clomid challenge" Full monitoring starting clomid on cd 5. Then after ovulation (again with a possible hcg shot... and a possible IUI if I feel like I "really" want to try it... even though he says he would not really recommend it yet) we will do another progesterone test... this time to see what my body does with ovulation but without progesterone supplements to see what my "real" progesterone readings are... if at that point they are still low... we will stay on the supplements forever. We will also do a sonohystrogram at the beginning of this cycle to get a good look at my uterus (he said this is more reliable to him than a HSG... and he would never do a lap without at east doing this teat first...) I can't believe no other doctor has done this test on me considering how many procedures I have had done. He called it "painless" But inflating your uterus with water and doing a 3d u/s seems like it may be a tad "uncomfortable... any one done this?

So.. after 3 or so monitored clomid cycles (which if you remember I have never had a monitored clomid cycle) if things still seem "unexplained" we will revisit the possibility of surgery.

The rates at this office are much more reasonable... for example Dr. Untrustworthy charged a flat rate for ultrasounds- $550 per cycle... regardless of how many you have... New Dr. says they charge $70 per u/s and you rarely need more than 3 a cycle... that is a huge difference. He said that the only thing that would cost a little more is that he insists on using non-generic clomid... he says that the generic is not the "exact same" and that he has had much better results with the real deal. Interesting....

They also have "special walk in hours" from 7:15 - 8:30 am every morning for when you need an u/s or a blood test... you don't need to have an appointment and they get you in and out very quickly so you do not have to deal with getting off from work. He also made me promise that if I ever felt like I wasn't being treated fairly financially to let him know... he said things like monitoring are mostly billed for the doctors time (not because of expensive equipment etc..) so he would rather work with me financially to get me pregnant and let the insurance kick in and pay him when he delivers our miracle baby.

This doctor (who we really need to name) feels really strongly about trying to help me... mainly because he is the reason my "infertile" siter in law has four sons ranging in age from 12-17... in fact she was the first IVF he ever did back in 1994. My SIL used to travel with him and talk about IVF.. they are both really involved with RESOLVE. Their families are very close and I think I will get great care from him because he loves my SIL so much. I am now known around the office as a VIP because I am DD's SIL... and many of the nurses remember her even though her twins are now 12. Dr. "New" even told me that he owes his practice and his specialty in infertility to my SIL because she "single-handedly"built his practice. I came in to the family much later and never really new all this about my SIL... (but the way... this is not the SIL I have complained about in the past... it is Mr. D's brother's wife.)

I have left out at least a thousand details... but these are the basics... So... I have a plan... the visit was very positive... and I feel a little hopeful. We will see how long that lasts.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delurking to say I hope for the best for you!!! So happy you like this doctor -- he sounds awesome!
Can't wait to read how everythig works out! Goooood luck! Just take it one day at a time.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I was really happy to read your post - I am so glad you found a really good doctor - he sounds like he will really take good care of you.

I am excited to read about your journey over the next couple of months - I have a really good feeling about this.

Hopefully we will talk soon!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

Delurking, too. What a great post. I've had a sonohystogram and it is about like a pap. I felt nothing more than a speculum. Now, an HSG put me through the roof and I was ill for days - completely different.

This new doctor sure breaks things down simply. I like hearing how much confidence you have. Too bad you didn't realize about your SIL sooner.

Your coworker - I'd figured he was quitting. He's a pill. Why not go to the principal? Why would he ever write that stuff? Anyone with a brain knows that you can use it as proof.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

Dr. Genius sounds good or Dr. DoGood. Although you shouldn't have to be labeled a genius or a do gooder just to treat people fairly and kindly.

Hoping the best for you with your new doc, sounds like you are on the right road and with the right doc.....

4:40 PM  
Blogger Patti Price said...

Delurking to say that this Dr seems like he knows what he is doing. The others seemed like they were beating around the bush or stringing you along just because they didn't know what to do..or they were $$ hungry. This Dr sounds so great in the $$ situation too. I think it sounds very promising. Good Luck!!

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, my thoughts on a name for him would be to go with a spinoff of "Mr. Big" from Sex In The City. No, I haven't watched more than three episodes of that (much to the frustration of my friends) but do think he is the "Big" of your future. My vote = Dr. Big!

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are on track, Jaime. Sometimes finding a doctor who will listen to you is the hardest part. Sounds like you have found someone who will!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

It's great that you have a plan and a good doctor. It makes all the difference. Did he say what your progesterone should be on your own? Just wondering.

6:31 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

Hey I'm not sure if I am delurking or if I have commented before. I have been reading your blog for a long time.

I have had the sono twice now. My thought is that there is very little pain associated with the actual procedure (about the same as a pap). However, sometimes the procedure can be more painful if your cervix is angled instead of straight. If so, the pain is associated with getting the procedure set up, but once set up, the procedure itself is not overly uncomfortable.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

I'm glad you finally found a doctor you are comfortable with who
will be aggressive too.

Hoping you have a positive outcome very soon.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

P.S. Yes, it's my ACL unfortunately. The MRI will show if I tore any cartilage as well and if so orthoscopic (sp) surgery (much less invasive and shorter recovery) may be needed to give me more mobility.
Thanks for asking.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A *little* hopeful?? Oh man, I have the best feeling about this guy for you. (I know, I'm just a weird lurker, but when I get a hunch I am rarely wrong.) At the very least you have someone who's truly listening to you and will get to the bottom of your IF issues.

About your teaching partner...definitely forward those emails to your principal! I'll bet they won't want to waste their money on such a negative, unprofessional individual. I'm sorry you had to put up with him on top of everything else.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it to your principal! It will not get better unless you nip it now!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Jessigirl said...

I would forward those emails to the principle. That shit is childish and stupid.

I am SO FREAKIN excited for you and this new doc! I know that this will be great for you.

Hope to talk to you soon!

Jess

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jamie,

Everything sounds SOOO good.:) If I were you I would KNOW the pregnancy is close!!! I feel it is coming for you. This is just awesome:)
Enjoy your vacation in FL, think positive thoughts and imagine bright future- it is coming!!!!
Best wishes,

Julie

6:44 AM  
Blogger Sporty said...

Great news about the doctor Jamie! Sounds like things are getting on track with this one. He sounds like he is going to be great and I don't think it hurts to be a VIP...no matter where it is! I can't wait to read that this doctor is all you needed to be successful in getting the little one that you are longing for.

I miss talking to you! Hopefully we can talk soon. Take care.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

What a great appointment!! Your dr is very optimistic and he knows what he's talking about. Don't worry about the SHG. I've had it done 3x and the HSG hurt more. With this new doctor comes new hope!

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Click Here